[TenTec] History repeats itself . . .

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Mon Nov 3 09:55:29 EST 2014

Well, I have a dusty SUV Rick, but you're going to have to come over here to wash it!

Yes, history does repeat itself.  The difference between then and now is that when I work you, whatever the mode, I don't know what you're running and you don't know what I'm running (unless we say so, of course).  It's not like an older analog/digital rig can't work an SDR and vice versa.

But, just as full tube rigs gave way to hybrids which gave way to full solid state, it's pretty obvious that the manufacturing process for radios is heading down one of two inter-woven forks:  SDR and SMT.  There will always be something of a market for "old fashioned" transistor or IC rigs, just as there's something of a market today for boat anchors and tube rigs.  I just wouldn't expect to see ANY major manufacturer be able to profitably mass market such a rig to the world amateur community today.  ("Mass market" being a relative term, of course0

73, ron w3wn