[TenTec] New Radios in the Future

Phil Sussman psussman at pactor.com
Tue Nov 4 08:41:40 EST 2014

A little OT, but my soap box is right here and has been unused recently:

I have also resigned from contest participation. Whether its the newer
versions of radios or the attitude of the operators, the end result is
that contests have become cut-throat and obsessive.

It used to be fun for me -- the days of using a paper log and resulting
good sportsmanship. The start of the end was computerized log checking,
where every contact was suspected fraud unless it could be verified by
appearance in another log. Many contacts were disqualified when other
operators didn't bother to submit a log.

Computerized operation, taken to the extreme, means a computer can run
multiple rigs -- make all exchanges prearranged and logged in full
compliance automatically -- converted to ADIF and then submitted without
operator intervention. The operator can merely watch or sleep while
claiming victory as the winning certificate is automatically printed.

Ah, the cynic -- hiding out on 17m during contests. What's that you
say? Contesting is now expanded to 17m? Golly, where to hide now?

Grin :)

73 de Phil - N8PS