[TenTec] New Radios in the Future

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Nov 4 08:49:21 EST 2014

At least no one got killed this time.

Last time there was a racing dispute shown in the media, one of the drivers
got run over and killed as he was shaking his fist while standing in the
middle of the race track!

You'd be surprised how serious some of these guys take contesting.

Last month, one group from DL consisting of 16 operators spent 5000 EURO
($6K+) each, or roughly $100K of their own money to participate in CQWW SSB
on a rare Island in the Pacific. (VK9LM).  Of course it cost more than that,
but the rest was covered by donations and sponsorships.

Whenever MONEY is involved, things get pretty serious.

But what other sport or hobby is any different?

When the Finns set the all time European records for CQWW SSB and CW back in
the late 1970's, they assembled all of their towers on the mainland then
flew them over to the island (Market Reef / OH0X) by helicopter.

When we broke both their records 10 years later, we didn't have a
helicopter, so we bought an 18-Wheeler truck to haul all of our kit to the
destination (LX7A).  We sold it 2 months later.  That was cheaper than
renting one for 6 weeks.  BIG MONEY and an unbelievable amount of effort
goes into these events.

Yet it's still called a "hobby".  ;-)

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)