[TenTec] Pan-Adaptor vs. Using BandMap with Ten-Tec Transceivers

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Nov 5 04:29:12 EST 2014

I separated this out from the "Future Radio" thread.
Both of these features are here already today.

I AM STILL TRYING TO UNDERSTAND HOW THE BANDSCOPE (or Pan-Adaptor) WILL HELP
"ME" in "my way" of working DX contests.
I know it helps for other things, but how will it improve my contest score?

For this thread, I hope you guys will focus on my specific problem (which
may very well be my slowness to understand), rather than try to sell me the
general benefits of using a Pan-Adapter for all sorts of other applications.

First, I understand that people have different interests and we all like to
play with technology.  I understand how it is fun and helpful to others.
But for my needs?

My main interest in operating are:

.1.Working DX Contests (and only those Contests),

.2.Working DX-peditions (especially the ones I sponsor),

.3.And rag chewing on 80 in SSB.

PLEASE FOCUS ONLY ON #1 FOR THIS THREAD.  TNX.

I am still trying to understand how a pan-adaptor or bandscope would help me
in a DX contest. that is, help enough that it would warrant the time, effort
and cost necessary to add this feature to my Eagle.  It will take some
hardware modification to "my" Eagle to do that.  I have an original version.

Remember, every second spent watching that device (or anything else) is one
less second I could be making a QSO, and a QSO usually takes just 5 seconds.

So far nothing I have read has convinced me that it would be worth the
effort (with reference to improving DX Contest scores).

Clearly it would be a big aid in chasing the DX-peditions.
I understand that.
It might even be an aid in my 80m rag chewing because it would help me
identify who is splattering up and down the band.

BUT WHERE IS THE BENEFIT IN DX CONTESTING ?
 (since I am already making full use of the BandMap with external spots and
skimmer)?

The only thing anyone has suggested so far which I fully accept is, when you
decide it's time to stop S&P and call CQ, it helps locate a clear frequency.

In a 48 hour CW contest, I might pause S&P and call CQ for a while, but I
only do that 2 or 3 times each night.
I don't do it in an SSB contest at all.

I don't call CQ during the day because my signal is not strong enough to
hold a frequency. I have never needed longer than one minute to find a
frequency (160/80/40) and begin working.

FIRST THE BANDMAP:

When I am operating S&P, my BandMap which is fed by packet posts and
skimmers, shows me:

.1.Call Sign and frequency of "Run" stations who are calling CQ

.2. Whether or not I have already worked the stn.

.3. If the station is a new Country, new Zone, or Both

.4. All stations, including those that I cannot even hear because
propagation is not favorable to my QTH

Of course #4 is the "gotcha" here with using the BandMap. Room for
improvement.

But my gut feeling is, less than 25 of the posts I see are for stations
which I cannot hear.
And even if they are, a few hours later propagation changes enough that they
now become "live" for me.
So even though I can't hear (i.e. K3LR), I know not to call CQ on that
frequency.

The BandMap is totally free for me, because my contest logging software
incorporates this feature.
My score has sky-rocketed upwards since I began using the BandMap in
contests.
This helped far more than using manual packet spots.

SECOND THE BANDSCOPE:

Question: is there a difference between a bandscope and a pan-adaptor?

BENEFITS:

.1. Helps identify clear spots when I'm looking for a frequency to call CQ.

GOOD POINT.
But weak point for my type of operation because I rarely do this.
I don't think anyone does it a lot.  If you are strong enough to hold a
frequency, you just stay there.  Otherwise you do S&P.

.2. Lets me know what is going on around my frequency.
Why should I care? My radio has excellent filters and in a contest, I must
go to cluttered frequency to work the rare multipliers, regardless of what's
going on around it.

When working S&P, I usually don't stay on one frequency longer than 15 or 20
seconds, then I move on.

If I'm calling CQ, I still don't care.  If people are calling me and I can
work them, I'm on a good frequency.
The entire band is full of signals.  Otherwise I'm on another band.

If I happened to settle down on the frequency of a rare DX station, plenty
of people will let me know; I send a "SRI" and QSY.

Besides, the Band-Scope won't tell me that I have settled on a DX station's
frequency, but the BandMap will!

.3.I can see when other bands are open.
GOOD POINT.  Actually EXCELLENT POINT.

The packet spots show me this too, to some extent.  Certainly not as well as
the band-scope would.
For stations who have full automation, and can double-click to change bands,
this might be a lot more benefit.
I need too long to change bands because I have a manually tuned amp, and
manual antenna switch, and manual matchbox.
The up side to "manual" is, it usually doesn't break.
After each major contest, our BCC reflector is full of people complaining
about automated stuff that broke.

My work-around:  I change bands and use the second VFO to scan the band at a
rapid rate in 1kHz steps.  I just listen to bursts (without stopping).  If
the band is full, I consider changing.  It takes a few minutes for the
BandMap to populate, so it is not any help for this operation.  This process
costs me about 60 to 90 seconds.

.4. I don't know any others.  Other than it might be fun; but fun doesn't
improve my contest score.
HELP ME OUT HERE PLEASE:  _______________________

DOWNSIDE OF BANDSCOPE FOR ME:

.1.Cost.  I would not only incur the cost for whatever hardware is needed, I
would have to purchase a new computer.  It was suggested not to use a
laptop. This means I would need a computer, keyboard, and monitor.  However
my shack is tiny and already over-crowded, which is one of the reasons I use
a laptop.

Doing this is not out of the question, but at the end of the day, is it
really going to improve my score significantly?  I can't see how.

It's also very difficult to find a good US-English keyboard over here.  I'd
probably have to pay shipping from the states.
Perhaps Scott (W4PA) could bring me one when he comes to visit next summer.

.2..Labor:  My early model Eagle motherboard does not have the connection to
run the IF out.  I don't mean the jack on the back, I mean the connection on
the printed circuit board.  I would have to take a soldering iron to it.  I
am technically competent, but with poor eyesight.  If I do this, there is
some risk that I might break something. A round trip back to the factory
costs $300.

Again, please keep this thread focused on "how a Band-Scope can help in
DX-Contesting", and not break out in a general discussion of the benefits of
a band-scope.  I understand that there are benefits in other aspects of the
hobby.

THANK YOU.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)