[TenTec] 17 Meter Antenna

Jim Allen jim.allen at longhornband.net
Sun Nov 23 16:48:58 EST 2014

Of course not!  No one would chose this while free to put up any kind of
antenna you wanted.  These will appeal, though, to those who are limited in
what they are allowed, by finances, or HOA Nazis, XYL Nazis and other
terrorists who infringe on one's freedom of action.

In terms of being a competitive contester, no.  In terms of being on the
air, participating in contests and having a good time, not so bad.

I was gratified to see I was high score in 1E QRP for 2014 Field Day in
West Gulf, running 5 watts to a home brew S9v31 clone with Petlowany coils
for radials.  I made contacts all over the place, from British Columbia to
Puerto Rico and San Diego to New Hampshire, with a modest antenna running
low power.  Only a few stations I called did not come back to me, in a
little over 7 or 8 hours of operation.  I was happier with that result than
a lot of 'big guns' were with their score!

73 de W6OGC  Jim Allen