[TenTec] OT: K9YC on Vertical or Horizontal / Heights

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Nov 24 01:56:13 EST 2014

Rick,

Here's a problem quite close to what you asked. The outer (black) curve
is my 30M dipole running from a taller tree to a shorter tree, so it
slopes down. Note that the nulls are a bit different because of the
slope. The inner blue curve is the same dipole at 33 ft, where it used
to be.  Both plots are for 10 degrees elevation. Note that while the
nulls of the lower antenna are less pronounced, the higher antenna beats
it by 3 dB in the top null and nearly 8 dB in the lower null. And in the
main lobes, the higher antenna beats the lower one by about 7 dB.  These
curves are representative of what happens from 1 degree elevation to at
least 15 degrees elevation.

In Chicago, 10 years ago, I did exactly what you suggested -- I put a
"dog-leg" in my 80/40 dipole with the intent of filling in the nulls.
The antenna ran east-west at about 40 ft on one end and 30 ft on the
other, so I needed to fill those nulls to work west. :)  I think it
might have worked a little bit.

But I also did exactly the other thing you described -- I fed that
antenna with 75 ohm twinlead, tied the two sides of the feedline
together, and fed it as a long wire against a counterpoise formed by
connecting to both ends of a big wrought iron fence that ran around the
front of my lot. That top-loaded vertical worked better on 80 than
loaded as a dipole, and it was my only 160M antenna. This was a great
example of not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. It wasn't a
great antenna, but I had a lot of fun with it.

73, Jim K9YC