[TenTec] Locking Up Orion 565 & N1MM

Eric Rosenberg ericrosenberg.dc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 00:12:49 EDT 2014

W1AW/3 from DC started tonight. W2CDO operated from my house on 40m with
my Orion 565, Hercules II, N1MM ('legacy" not N1MM+) and a MicroKeyer
II. We were using the 160 inverted-L through a 238 tuner. Te firmware is
the latest released version ( don't have the number in front of me). I'm
using an HP small footprint desktop i-5 with Win7. Both the keyboard and
trackball are PS/2 types.

Everything was going fine, and then weird things happened. Every once in
while, when Peter would hit the enter key, the Orion screen would go
blank except for a single line across the screen and a tone (as he
described it) came through the headphones. He turned the rig off and on,
and it came back to life...although twice there was a loud, perfectly
timed clicking that came out of the left earpiece. He turned the radio
off and on again -- not a master reset -- and all went back to normal
until the next time.

Again, no transmissions were going on.

I'm hoping to try WriteLog tomorrow and see what happens.

I suspect/hope it is something computer related, but I can't imagine
what.  Any thoughts are appreciated!

73,
Eric W3DQ
Washington, D (one of the 3 W1AW/3 stations this week)