[TenTec] Eagle Comparison

James Boswell jboswell at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 2 11:46:34 EDT 2014

Interesting,
     Several years ago I got to do this comparison: Omni C vs Eagle. Now
we are talking about a simple "what sounds best" comparison. After
several hours of listening using a basic HF vertical. I would have to
say there was a even comparison. That is an interesting point
considering the difference in the age of the radios.
     With the great sale on the Eagle I would really like to buy one. I
am not willing to sell my Omni C.

  My TenTec radios:
		OMNI C         PARAGON
                 CORSAIR        CORSAIR II
                 DELTA          ARGOSY D

     If I were to rate the older TenTec radios, they would be in this
order: 1. Corsair II  2. Corsair  3. Omni C  4. Argosy D or Delta. To
me, the Omni C just looks like a amateur radio should look. Think about
the Collins S line.
     I take pride in knowing I can do repairs on my older TenTec radios.
At my age I may not be able to continue this practice in 10 years or so.
I have even purchased extra radios to rob parts from if needed.
     Yes, I own other HF radios and enjoy camping with my Icom 703 and
7200, two very good radios. If I can, I would like to sell a few of my
HF rigs and buy an Eagle while it is still on sale.
     There is a market for a basic quality radio. The Icom 718 is proof
of that market. I feel sure TenTec could serve-up a great analog HF rig
with a $500 to 750 price tag.

     Take Care, 73'S  KA5SIW