[TenTec] Modern version of the Tec Tec Corsair - please , Ten Tec!

Steve Berg wa9jml at frontier.com
Fri Oct 3 23:38:46 EDT 2014

I just ordered an Omni VII, but will be keeping my Corsair II and
external VFO.  The radio has simply incredible performance with a few
quirks.  I bought an Argonaut VI to get some idea of how good a new DSP
rig might be, and it is very good, but it seems to have some problems
with really close in QRM, though its selectivity is a bit better than
the Corsair II.  I used the Corsair II to work T32C a while back, and on
40 meters, I had to use the 250 Hz filter and the audio filter to pull
them out from some lid transmitting very close to them.  I was able to
copy them, despite this, and was very happy to have that level of
performance.  Right now, I am using the Ten Tec RF speech clipper with
the Corsair II and it works very well.  I couldn't pass up the deal on
the Omni VII, and have been concerned with parts availability for the
Corsair II, but really like its level of performance.  Would I buy a
Corsair III?  Sure, but I doubt that Ten Tec could find enough buyers
for it.  Most people now seem to want contest winning rigs, and I am not
sure that a superb analog rig, even with digital outputs for mode and
frequency would find enough buyers.

Steve WA9JML