[TenTec] OT: Kenwood announces new improved "TS-590SG"

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Oct 10 07:56:47 EDT 2014

Barry, this one gives a bit more detail in English:
http://www.radiocronache.com/category/kenwood/

If I read it correctly, downward conversion is now used on all bands, any
time the bandwidth is less than 2.7kHz.
This should improve the high bands performance (BDR3).

>From the description of the changes made to the AGC, it appears the problem
with the electric fence sparks which Rob Sherwood has been complaining to
all companies about, has been addressed.

There is no mention of the improvement to spurious emissions.
I dug that out myself by scrutinizing the specifications.
It could be that Kenwood does not want to awaken awareness that they ever
had a problem with this.
If indeed this problem is fixed, then Kenwood will have distanced itself
from Yaesu and Icom in this price class.
Those other two companies still have some homework to do.

The list price is about $2K but apparently there is an introductory price of
$1.5K.
Certainly "the heat is on" in the mid-range!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)