[TenTec] OMNI-VI question

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Sun Oct 19 13:27:57 EDT 2014

Whether you can fix it yourself depends on your access to accurate
instruments and your skill at using them.

The frequency accuracy of the Omni VI depends on the accuracy of the
reference oscillator which determines the accuracy of the VFO PLL AND
the BFO accuracy. The BFO in the Omni VI IS NOT LOCKED TO THE 10 MHz
reference oscillator. The BFO has several adjustments for the different
frequencies used for USB, LSB, CW and FSK. Those adjustment interact, so
it is necessary to do them in the correct order, and them do them again.

You will need a way to accurately measure and adjust the 10 MHz
reference and the BFO frequencies. A frequency counter with a known
accurate reference would be the easiest way to go.

You mention having a signal generator. If that has an accurate reference
you could use it and a general coverage receiver to listen to the beat
between your sig gen and whichever oscillator you are adjusting. You
will have to play around with methods of getting a sample of the
oscillator and your signal generator at the right amplitudes to hear the
beat nicely on the receiver.

DE N6KB