[TenTec] Centurion is on the Fritz

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Thu Oct 23 13:54:18 EDT 2014

Greetings... my Centurion died last night while I was Net Control of my
favorite net, and more than embarrassing, it was frustrating to say the
least.  I was running about 500 w and watching the Peak Power meter on
the front, when it just stopped transmitting.   The rig keys it, and the
transmit LED lights up, but it fails to transmit - not a single watt.  I
get appropriate readings if I switch to standby.   This behavior is
consistent with all three transceivers.    The result is the same using
either PTT or QSK key lines - it switches to transmit mode, but there is
no power output. This happens on all bands.

My best guess is my remote tuner took itself off line, and the amp saw
high or low impedance/SWR.   I have an Elecraft W2 power meter that is
SUPPOSED to break the key line whenever SWR exceeds 3:1, but I guess it
failed to do that.

I have modest DIY sills and test equipment but I am game to try any
diagnostic test within my skill level.  Any ideas?