[TenTec] Centurion is on the Fritz

Fri Oct 24 19:41:48 EDT 2014

One of my trouble shooting tips was to look and see if the tubes are lit.
There are two fuses on the filament PC board.   One other fuse for the bias
circuit is on the QSK board.  Both boards are inside and accessible with
covers removed.

I have experienced the pins of the 3-500 series tubes actually de-soldering
within the hollow tube or the pin.  The symptom is an open filament.   This
is caused by excessive heat either from inadequate cooling or from a loose
pin to socket contact causing excessive heating.  With the filament
requiring 14.5 amps at 5.0 volts  it doesn't take much contact resistance to
produce a notable amount of heat at the socket and tube pins.

Do exercise all degree of caution and safety when working on any power
amplifier.  Voltages in these amplifiers are lethal and one is not to take
anything for granted.

73
Bob, K4TAX