[TenTec] Eagle AT slow?

Sun Sep 7 20:37:11 EDT 2014

Well yes, the routine for the Eagle is slower than many other tuners, even
the one in the Orion and Omni VII series.  Those are different tuners and
have their own processor to handle solely the tuning routine.  The big
difference with the Eagle ATU, it shares the processor that handles the
radio and its associated housekeeping chores.  Your referenced MFJ has its
own processor to handle the tuning routine and it does nothing else.

As to activating the TUNE routine on a frequency, if you do it again it will
run the routine again.  Typically I find it slower on the lower frequencies
as opposed to the higher frequency bands just as you have indicated.

If you run the TUNE routine on 75M and then switch to 40M and run the TUNE
routine and then switch to 20M and run the TUNE routine, when you switch
back to 75M, same frequency, you will find that a proper match exists as the
tuner has stored the parameters for 75M.  Thus it is not necessary to run
the TUNE routine.   Same for the other bands as well.  Now if you have
switched back to 75M and press the TUNE for the routine, it will again run
through the steps to find the correct match even though it had previously
found a match.  In each case, when TUNE is activated the tuner will run
through the routine regardless of what was done or stored earlier.

73
Bob, K4TAX