[TenTec] Zepp?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Sep 13 17:38:02 EDT 2014

Bob is fully correct.  It would be much better to use a 1:1 balun.

I think the 4:1 DX-E balun is a current balun (not certain); if not then it
is totally out of place for this job, regardless of what anyone working for
DX-E might have told us.
If it is a current balun, then it will only impede common mode current
adequately enough if the SWR is below about 4:1.  Better when it is lower
than that.

However, I did not jump immediately onto the 1:1 balun bandwagon because the
impedance of the antenna on 10m (without consideration of the impedance
transformation due to the feedline) is about 2000 Ohms which may be beyond
the range of the specific MFJ tuner in use, if we use 1:1.  In that case,
the cmc would not be a problem when using a 1:1 balun, but the matchbox
would not find a match.  But there's an easy work-around.

That's why we need to know the frequency.

If you are familiar with the DX-E portfolio of baluns, then you will know
that they were either designed or specified by Tom Rauch, W8JI, who like
G3TXQ (and me), insist that the best balun to use in front of the tuner is a
1:1 Guanella balun.  Both Tom and Steve explain why on their own web pages.

If your matchbox can't cope with the higher impedance when using a 1:1
balun, then that's a matching problem, not a balun problem.  You can adjust
the feedline length, or add a second device, either a step-up transformer or
a 1:4 balun.  In this case it is OK to use a 1:4 voltage balun because the
cmc impeding is being handled by the 1:1 current balun.

Unfortunately when you speak with some sales persons at DX-E, you don't
always get good advice.  Some will still recommend a 4:1 balun.  Tom
designed their portfolio but doesn't work there.  You won't get him on the
phone.

Final note:  is it 4:1 or 1:4?  Gosh I don't know.
Sevick defined it one way, but the vendors selling these devices call it the
other way.  Let's forget the semantics and specify exactly what we are
talking about: the 50 Ohm side is towards the TX and the 200 Ohm side is
towards the antenna.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)