[TenTec] Zepp?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sun Sep 14 03:14:43 EDT 2014

Bob,

As long as you are using a manual tuner, that suggestion works.
If you are using an automatic tuner AND running high power, then the
impedance on several of the bands may be above the matching range of the
tuner.

Most of the common high-power ATUs max out between 600 and 1200 Ohms, which
is not high enough for matching a center-fed Zepp on even harmonics, unless
you happen to have a feedline length that is near a quarter wavelength (or
odd multiple thereof) long.

You can change the feedline length, but that is frequency dependent.
The suggested formula is to add 1/8 wavelength of feedline on the band
causing the trouble.
My problem usually seemed to be on 40m (my favorite band).  I found that 13
ft. of feedline does the trick on that band (assuming openwire between .8
and .9 VF).

Here is a trick the ALWAYS WORKS but many of you will be uncomfortable with
it.
My suggestion is, don't moan too loud before you have tried it.
MOVE THE FEEDPOINT
Instead of feeding it at 50/50 (in the middle), feed it at 43/57.
That way the maximum impedance on all bands is under 1000 Ohms, regardless
of feedline length and nearly every external ATU on the planet will match it
on all bands.

All other things equal, Common Mode Current rises, the farther away from the
center you place the feedpoint.
When you move it just 7% off center, the impact on CMC is very little, but
the impact on the impedance of the antenna on even harmonic frequencies is
significant, dropping it from over 2000 Ohms to below 1000 Ohms.  That's the
trick.
Voila!

4:1 vs. 1:1 balun.  Besides the 4:1 balun losing its ability to impede CMC
under high SWR conditions, it also prohibits you from running your Zepp on
lower bands.  For instance a 40m Zepp works just fine on 80m when you use a
1:1 balun, but don't try to do that with a 4:1 balun.  The 4:1 balun is
transforming the impedance in the wrong direction and the result is often an
impedance seen by the ATU of 5 Ohms or less.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)