[TenTec] SWR is a DUMB Indicator of Antenna Performance

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Sep 15 10:11:12 EDT 2014

In addition, if the antenna (i.e. dipole) has a balun using a ferrite toroid
and we try to match the antenna on a band for which it was not designed,
with help of a matchbox, then there is additional loss in the balun, which
often can be significant.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Bob McGraw
- K4TAX
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2014 4:01 PM
To: k9yc at arrl.net; Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SWR is a DUMB Indicator of Antenna Performance

It seems that here we fall largely to the victim of verbal semantics.
Almost every radio I've owned, as well as the related printed manual, gives
the indication there is a place to connect "the antenna".  In fact, we don't
actually connect the antenna but more correctly we connect the "feed line"
or "transmission line" to the equipment and it is that feed line or
transmission line that is actually connected to the antenna.

In general the generic description we use, the antenna,  has to do with the
radiating part of our station, via various interconnect means, being
described as "the antenna" and thus any tuning, more correctly matching, is
then stated as "tuning the antenna".

Yes, feed line loss due to SWR is a concern in many instances.  Many
feedline materials or choices have very low loss when operating at a matched
condition.  However we find the loss goes up rather dramatically when the
feedline is operated at other than its design impedance.  One needs to
consult the published charts and tables to determine the matched loss for a
given type of feedline and then an additional table to add the loss value
when the feedline is operated with some value of SWR other than a 1:1
condition or matched condition.

What is frequently overlooked, we take a given feedline having a loss of 1
dB per hundred feet in a matched condition and use that feedline in a
condition where the SWR on the line is 10:1.  We then find the total loss is
1.0 dB plus the added loss due to SWR of 2.5 dB for a total loss of 3.5 dB.

73
Bob, K4TAX