[TenTec] Shipping methods

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Sun Sep 21 14:30:58 EDT 2014

USPS works best for me for a couple of reasons, which undoubtedly do not
apply to everyone. By using USPS I can have a package delivered to my
P.O. Box. There is is stored securely indoors until I go to pick it up.
I go to the Post Office almost daily anyway.

With UPS or FedEx I must use my residence address. Since I work (not at
home) chances are the attempted delivery will occur when nobody is at
home. Sometimes the package will be left outside the house, and
sometimes not. If they decide not to leave the package and leave a note
that says I can pick up the package at their office. Then I have to find
out what their office hours are, and get to the office during those
hours. Their hours are very weird and they do not consistently adhere to
their posted hours. They do not answer their telephone. Remember I work,
so getting to the office during their hours is not easy. Then when I get
to the office, guess what? Sorry the package is not here, it is out in
the truck for delivery.

When it comes to damage in shipping most of the problem is with whomever
packs it. Many people just don't know how to properly pack things to
prevent damage. One should always assume that a package will be dropped,
thrown, kicked, rolled and tumbled.

All of the package shipping companies should be thought of as G force
survivability testing companies, that just happen to deliver to a
different location than where the package was dropped off.  The
merchandise should be packaged so that it will not be damaged by testing
process. If you cannot do that, then you should not use any of these G
force survivability testing companies.  If you want to make sure it gets
tumbled, put on of those "This Side Up" stickers on it. If you want to
be sure it gets dropped or kicked, put a "Fragile" sticker on it.
Packing it to survive often results in a larger and heavier package that
will cost more to ship. USPS Parcel Post may be the only service you can
afford. Better not be in a hurry.

DE N6KB