[TenTec] Argo V and digital modes

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Sep 23 00:49:25 EDT 2014

On Mon,9/22/2014 8:38 PM, ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net wrote:
> You're right about the transients and the sidebands they create. Keyed
> CW creates sidebands too. I don't think those sideband components could
> be accurately called intermodulation products though.

Hi Ken,

I'm not calling the sidebands produced by the transientsIM products.
What I'm pointing out is that those sideband components are amplified by
the output stage and linear amp, if there is one, and those amp stages
generate IM from the combination of those sidebands and the carrier.
It's exactly the same mechanism as with CW keying, and with SSB.

Those CW spectra in the ARRL reports are the result of the combination
of the sidebands, the IM produced by the amplifiers excited by the
combination of carrier and sidebands, and the phase noise. Indeed, I've
been urging ARRL to use pink noise to drive the mic preamp to produce
SSB modulation spectra comparable to the CW spectra, because they
combine all three mechanisms.

73, Jim K9YC