[TenTec] On DITS and AMP KEY Switching

Thu Sep 25 17:56:22 EDT 2014

While the QST review does show the timing with respect to key closure and RF
envelope starting, there's more taking place than is shown in the ARRL
tests.   There is a third element which seems to be of concern with regard
to using the Eagle with an external amp.   If the amp has sufficiently fast
switching, such as found in QSK designed amps, there seems to be no issue.
These amps will switch in ~5 to ~10 ms typical.  However, with slow
switching amps, some delay is absolutely necessary as some older amps take
20ms or more to complete switching.  Discussions continue with regard to the
fixed timing values offered by the Eagle.

It must be noted that the QSK Delay feature offered by the Eagle is only
applicable to the receiver recovery between CW elements and does not impact
any external switching parameters.  It is this point I seem to believe to
which many are not aware.

I hope I have this correct regarding the timing sequence as measurements
seem to confirm the following:

(a)  Key closure occurs first.
(b) Amp Key relay then closes some ~7 ms later.  {This is NOT shown in
QST/ARRL Review}
(c) RF envelope starts ~17 ms after key closure.  The first CW element
origination is not truncated but only delayed.
(d) Key opens at the end of the CW element.
(e) RF envelope completes.  Thus the CW element is completed some ~17 ms
after the key opens.
(f) Amp Key relay opens ~20 ms after key opens. {This is not shown in
QST/ARRL Review}

Hope this helps.

73
Bob, K4TAX

P.S. - Thanks Rick, NJ0IP / DJ0IP for providing the scope pixs.