[TenTec] Centaur Tubes odd ones in parallel

Mike Schatzberg cherokeehillfarm at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 1 13:22:47 EDT 2015

You can check the match both statically and dynamically by installing one triode at a time, and double checking you don't short the unused plate cap. Follow all safety precautions and all interlocks should be engaged. Always allow time for the capacitor bank to bleed down and then short the HV to ground while the amp is open.

Key the amp with no drive and observe the idle current for that triode.  Remove that tube and replace with the second triode.

The results should be very close for well matched tubes.

If you wish, you can plot input drive vs output power through the useful range of the limits of plate and grid current for each triode. Again, the curves should be similar for a matched pair.

A good quality dummy load should be employed.

You will also observe the linearity of the amp and the saturation point when additional drive no longer produces a linear output.

Obviously, good quality instruments should be used to produce the curves.

It takes only minutes to do the static test. Why guess if you will have an issue?

This methods can help determine the needed bias voltage for best linearity also. I usually build a diode string and add or subtract diodes to get the desired idling current. The 3-500 is a zero bias tube and is pretty easy to deal with. The higher the idling current, the hotter the tube runs, and the easier it is to drive to full output.

73,

Mike
W2AJI

Sent from my iPhone