[TenTec] 540/Triton Transmit Audio Distortion

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Apr 4 04:11:09 EDT 2015

Bill,

The 540 has an interesting feature.
You can unplug the coax coming from the driver and plug it directly into the
Low Pass Filter. (Of course 'after' unplugging the coax from the finals from
the LPF board).

When you do this, you have a 5w QRP radio.

Try that.  This will show you immediately if the trouble is in the final amp
or in one of the earlier stages.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Bill Acito
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2015 7:42 AM
To: TenTec at contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] 540/Triton Transmit Audio Distortion

My restoration project continues...
My project 540 has great receive audio, but very distorted transmit audio,
as if it was being overdriven. Power out into a dummy loadlooks good, but on
another receiver I can hear the audio peaks of myvoice but the audio itself
sounds like hash, severely distorted -- like modulated static.I find that if
I move the mic away from my mouth 12-18 inches andspeak low the audio sounds
acceptable on the other receiver.
I have tried a 700 hand mic and a high z Turner 350C with no difference.
What boards should I be looking at?  the SSB generator? Finals?
Bill  W1PA