[TenTec] Field day antennas

Ralph Matheny K8RYU mathenyr at marietta.edu
Tue Apr 14 12:07:44 EDT 2015

In my experience the 80M antenna on the higher bands will be  a
dud.  If you must, use a loop rather than an dipole, and feed the
loop with 300 (NOT 450) line via a true balanced link-coupled tuner,
like the Johnson Matchbox of 60's fame.  Both 80M antennas have just
too many nulls on the higher bands. T or L network tuners with "baluns"
at the input or output have not impressed me in this service, but that
may be a personal prejudice.

I think a short dipole for the higher bands is worth the trouble,
say about 20 feet on a side, again with 300 ohm feed line.

I stay away from the 450 stuff because one can end up with some
VERY low or high Z at the tuner, and since the bands are harmonic
related if it's good on one it will be bad on another to a much
greater extent. If I could get 150 ohm open wire, I'd use it!

One man's opinion.

  de K8RYU