[TenTec] Field day antennas

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Apr 16 03:53:15 EDT 2015

On Thu,4/16/2015 12:30 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> To all of you guys commenting on the common mode current of an OCFD, I have
> one simple question:

Several years ago, I modeled a 40M OFCD dipole with offsets varying from
a foot increments of a few feet to a lot more, and dissipation in a
practical choke inline with these antennas. The results are not pretty.
Looking late at night (it's 1 AM here), I can't find the pdf showing it,
but the bottom line is that you don't have to go very far off center
(5-10%) to have enough common mode to fry a really beefy choke when
running high power. High power is defined as 1-1.5 kW. You may, of
course, be luckier at 100 W.

Your mileage will vary ONLY to the extent that you run lower power
and/or lower duty cycles and/or a feed that is less off-center. We are
stuck with the laws of physics.

73, Jim K9YC