[TenTec] Omni 6 Plus

Ken kakoval at cox.net
Sun Apr 26 14:02:04 EDT 2015

Barry -

I agree with you.  My original Omni 6 Plus manual seems to be an exact
match for the manual on the Ten Tec site with the exception of the
advertising pages.  It is a very good Operator's Manual. However, what
it does not contain is what is needed by the more technical amateurs.
What is needed:

Good block diagram
Part numbers to include component value, power rating, tolerances,
voltage rating, polarity of polarized capacitors
Interconnect diagram
Performance test procedures
Alignment procedures
Detailed circuit description (brief description is in Operator's Manual)
Trouble shooting assistance

This detail is certainly out of scope for an operator's manual but is
typically found in a service manual and most major ham radio equipment
offer such manuals at an additional cost.  This information certainly
exists within the engineering department of Ten Tec, but they have
decided not to release it.  They must have released a significant amount
of information to the ARRL enabling them to compose an excellent Omni 6
Plus description in the 2000 ARRL Handbook.  The technical amateurs will
just have to search around and make educated guesses based on the
information provided with the hopes that some day Ten Tec will release more.

Ken, K9PGC