[TenTec] OT: Anyone used LiFePo technology yet for portable operations?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Apr 27 16:44:03 EDT 2015

Hi Jim,

Very interesting indeed.
Last question first.
I intend to climb as little as possible.
I will use a motorbike to get as high as possible and only hike the last wee
little bit.

I posted the same question to the BCC yesterday and two guys (SOTA guys)
answered.
One has a 5 Ah battery and 5w QRP rig.  He says he is on the air for 5 hrs
with that and has power to spare.

The battery I'm looking at is 12 Ah so I suppose my Scout can run @ 50w for
that many hours.
Before I spend the money, though, I'm going to pack a backpack with some
rocks and try a small mountain.  We'll see how enthused I am afterwards.

When all else fails, I have two mountains near here where I can ride a
motorbike to the top and one even has a castle on it, so it counts as COTA
too.  If I fail the dress rehearsal (with the rocks), that may be the route
I go.  In any case, I'm getting out of the house and away from this dang
keyboard this summer!

Tnx agn.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)