[TenTec] OT: Anyone used LiFePo technology yet for portable operations?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Apr 28 12:39:28 EDT 2015

Wade,

I have another idea too, but I'm hoping it won't be necessary.
I found some huge individual cells for a reasonable price.
They are 3.2v / 10Ah.
If I put 5 of them together, I get about 16v.
I can insert a couple of diodes at first and remove them when the battery
starts to run down.

I'm only looking for 5 or 6 hours of operation, not days at a time.

However if we can come up with a low voltage loss regulator, then 4 normal
LiFePo cells will be all that is needed.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Wade Staggs
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 6:12 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Anyone used LiFePo technology yet for portable
operations?

*For my emergency power, we took two 125 Ah batteries in series for 24
volts. Then used/built a regulator circuit rated at 35 Amps with Crowbar
circuit. We now run the Paragon from that when the lights go out. These
batteries are pulls from the FedEx Data Center and are very nice. As you may
know, the Paragons get really silly acting below about 12.4 volts ( or at
least mine does.) So my cure may also be an idea or a way to use the Scout
without worry, by using 2 batteries rated at 6 AH and the described circuit
above. Heck, its just an idea. My 2 batteries have never been discharged
below about 12.3 volts each and we get Many Hours of Backup
Power.*
*                                                 73 de Wade/KJ4WS*