[TenTec] WTB: working S meter for my Omni V

Gary J FollettDukes HiFi dukeshifi at comcast.net
Tue Dec 1 21:28:54 EST 2015

If you want to test the meter, take a 1.5 volt battery and put a 1 megOhm resistor in series with it and touch the positive of this to the meter positive and, of course, the battery negative to meter negative.

The needle should deflect a little when you do this.

Alternatively, if you have a digital DMM, measure the meter resistance but not in the Diode mode as that will put 0.6 VDC on the meter, and that is likely too much for the movement to handle, at least for very long.. The Ohmmeter should tell you the meter is from a few Ohms to maybe 100 Ohms max.

Now that won’t tell you if the meter is seized up. If you are VERY quick, you can put your DMM into “diode” test mode. Then connect the meter negative to DMM negative with a clip lead. Then VERY quickly tap the positive lead of the DMM to the positive of the meter while watching the meter to see if it moves.

These are low tech ways.

If you have a variable power supply, things get much easier. Put about 10 Ohms in series between the supply and the meter respective pins and turn the supply to zero output. Slowly turn up the voltage until you see the meter move just a little. That will confirm that the meter is functioning with no risk of damaging it.

As a last resort, I think I have one kicking around here if I can find it.

Gary