[TenTec] Ham activity....

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Dec 5 04:39:30 EST 2015

Thank you for saying that, Ken.

Amateur radio is an international hobby.
Even this list has a hundred more members living outside of the states.
Sometimes the comments here are pretty US-[ego]Centric.

Rob Sherwood has been pushing "Cost of Ownership" as an important decision
criteria for a long time now.
For us here in Europe, a round trip for our radio to Sevierville can easily
cost $300.
Shipping just a module costs a lot less.

IMO ham radios have been going in the wrong direction.
They keep getting smaller and smaller and more difficult to work on.
Yet the skill level of recent hams is not quite like it was 50 years ago.

In addition, the average age of hams going up.
With poorer eyes and slower fingers many of us have, it would be nice to
have a radio large enough to enable ease of operation.  NOBODY is focusing
on this market.

Our radios should be made modular with field-replaceable-boards.
That way people living anywhere in the world could return just boards.
Probably won't happen.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)