[TenTec] Alternative Eagle Form Factor was Re: Status

K8mp at aol.com K8mp at aol.com
Mon Dec 7 11:54:05 EST 2015

Hi Darrell,
Heck, send in your $1K bucks and you just might get your wish...   HI HI

Later, Joe, K8MP

In a message dated 12/7/2015 10:58:39 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ve7iu at runbox.com writes:

I've  been thinking about this idea of a bigger form factor for the
Eagle, the  ensuing discussion, and thought I would post my wish list.
Perhaps if  others join in with their wish lists, John Henry and the new
owner might  consider an alternative form factor for the Eagle. I am not
suggesting  replacing the current Eagle form factor, as many find it
suitable to their  needs, but an alternative, be it a new radio model or
an alternate Eagle  offered concurrently with the existing form factor.

I very much like  the performance of my Eagle. I have always like Ten-Tec
receivers, from my  Argo 509, Jupiter, and now Eagle. However, I would
prefer a larger form  factor with more controls.

I tend to use the RF Gain to control the  receiver gain, and leave the AF
Gain at a higher level, so having an easy  to use RF Gain control is
important to me. This was absent on the Jupiter,  and the Omni also makes
the RF Gain a secondary function.

I prefer  split to RIT, so I don't miss a RIT control, but I know for
many that  would be very important.

The biggest issue for me though is that FNC  button. Buttons should have
a single function or a second function as a  push and hold, but no more
than two functions. Pushing multiple buttons  simultaneously or in
sequence is not something I am fond of. I am  constantly forgetting that
the FNC button is active (the blink rate is far  too slow), and then
getting VOX instead of NB as an example. Pushing FNC,  then a desired
button, and then FNC to turn it off is too much. Making FNC  only active
until the next button is pressed would help, but the real  solution is
more buttons.

The multi control seems to idle most of  the time, and I think using the
main tuning control as the multi control  would be better served. Yes, I
suspect I might change the frequency  inadvertently once in a while, but
would rather see the existing multi  control do something else full time.

Given the choice between the  Eagle, Omni VII and the Orion II, I still
prefer the Eagle controls, as  the current Eagle gives me access to the
AF and RF Gain controls and the  BW and PBT controls without having to
push a button or control. The lack  of 6 metres on the Orion is also a
huge factor for me.

A new Omni  VIII or Orion III would have to have at least the concentric
controls  (AF/RF and BW/PBT) of the Eagle and 6 metres to capture my
attention.  Those rotary controls incorporating a pushbutton don't appeal
to me at  all.

So here is my wish list:

A much larger form factor, be it  the size of the Omni V/VI/VII or Orion
would be fine. There is no such  thing as too large for me. Given a
choice between the size of the current  Eagle and the size of the old
Collins Gold Dust Twins, I would choose the  size of the Gold Dust Twins,
floor mount cabinet and all.  :-)

Single function controls. Separate AF and RF Gain controls,  separate BW
and PBT controls. The concentric knobs of the Eagle are  acceptable, but
separate controls would be nice. Pushing the control to  switch between
functions like the OMNI VII is not acceptable. A manual  notch would be
the only other control I would use. Perhaps a user  programmable control
that could be set to RIT/Notch/Keyer Speed, etc would  be nice.

More pushbuttons. A maximum of two functions per button, one  function on
a quick press, and another for push and hold. The only  exception would
be direct frequency entry, where an enter button is  pressed, the
frequency entered, and the enter button pressed  again.
Absolutely no step through buttons. By this I mean the existing BAN,
MOD, and FAST buttons. The combination band/frequency entry pad like the
Omni VII/Orion would be great. Separate buttons for each mode and VFO
step would also be great. A touch screen might be a good alternative to
buttons for this. But this needs to be a one step operation; One button
press to select a mode or VFO step size, not press STEP, and then select
the size.

Years ago, Ten-Tec had it right with the Mic and  Headphone jacks on the
rear panel and SSB Normal and Reverse rather than  USB/LSB selection. I
would love to see that again, but I am quite sure I  am in the minority
on this one.

Leave out the keyer. I use  Ultimatic mode and always use an external
keyer. I know I am also in the  minority on this one, but at least do not
waste a control for a dedicated  keyer speed function.

So there is my wish list for an alternative Eagle  form factor, I
encourage others to chime in with their wish lists, and  perhaps the new
owner of Ten-Tec may grant us our wishes!

My  biggest wish however, is for Ten-Tec to thrive for many years to  come.

73, Darrell VE7IU

--
Darrell  Bellerive
VE7IU