[TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 156, Issue 14

Douglas sparks06524 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 8 04:55:20 EST 2015

The number one reason why small to medium size businesses fail is the lack of adequate capitalization.All this talk of the new owner of Ten Tec having to raise money doesn't bode well in terms of there being ANY possible future for the brand. He shouldn't have even attempted to make the purchase unless he had the funds to buy the company, design new products, and get production rolling without any profits for at least a year. I've started a couple of businesses in my life. In each case, I used the relatively safe assumption that they would be sinkholes in terms of funds for at least TWO years.
The Ten-Tec founders Burchfield and Kahn had the resources of their profits from ElectroVoice to finance their new company. History is littered with failed business attempts due to undercapitalization, i.e.: Delorean, Malcolm Bricklin's various efforts, etc.
The simple fact that the new owner has to ASK for funding isn't good. To paraphrase the old saying used by Rolls-Royce and others "If you have to ask, you can't afford it".
Doug/WA1TUT