[TenTec] Dirty Transmitters - Flex and Yaesu

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Dec 9 23:10:12 EST 2015

On Wed,12/9/2015 7:27 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand the point of this. True "state of the art"
> can become hideously expensive.

You are confusing "bleeding edge, highly advertised, gold plated" with
what the FCC intends. My point is that the Kenwood TS590S is NOT
hideously expensive -- it's a very moderately priced, full-featured rig
that is also pretty clean (not as clean as a K3, but quite good).

AND -- the most expensive Yaesu and ICOM rigs ARE DIRTY RIGS. They are
dirty because they don't do the simple things needed to make them clean,
which mostly involves carefully shaping the keying waveform to minimize
clicks. That doesn't require cost, it requires SMARTS!

73, Jim K9YC