[TenTec] Dirty Transmitters - Flex and Yaesu

Darrell Bellerive VE7IU ve7iu at runbox.com
Thu Dec 10 10:57:46 EST 2015

There are so many things to consider when one chooses a radio. I went
through this recently. In my case I wanted the brand, form factor, and
ergonomics of the Kenwood TS-590S, the continued development and support
of the Elecraft K3, and the quiet receiver, great noise blanker, and DSP
filtering of the Ten-Tec Eagle.

I did NOT want the complexity and poor audio of the K3, or the lack of
support and possible ALC and power issues of the TS-590S, or the
ergonomics of the Eagle.

Yaesu and Icom have great feature sets, but did not impress me in the
performance and audio quality department.

I also preferred something with a cleaner transmitter, but that was
secondary to receive performance and audio quality.

In the end, I choose the Eagle.

Now that the K3S and TS-590SG are out, I find myself following
discussions on those radios again, but will keep the Eagle and see what
Ten-Tec and possibly Heathkit will do in the future. OTOH, if I win the
lottery, I will buy a number of radios that very day. :-)

For me, my perception of performance won out over features, support,
ergonomics, and brand.

73, Darrell VE7IU

--
Darrell Bellerive