[TenTec] Radio Complexity was Re: Dirty Transmitters - Flex and Yaesu

rick@dj0ip.de Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Dec 10 16:26:27 EST 2015

Darrell,

I'm in between you and Jim.

You identified the problem yourself.
The newer generation have too many features to give them all a knob or
button, and there isn't enough space on the front panel to label a switch
with all the features.

At the same time, THE biggest thing I disliked about the K3 was that I could
not operate it without a manual.
In fact at first I used both the manual and the tiny Quick Guide (those $10
specials).  Sometimes the manual explained stuff better, sometimes the guide
was better.

Let's backtrack; prior to purchasing the K3, I was one of the operators with
Tim (K3LR) at a field day site.
During the grave yard shift where most people were home in bed, I was using
a K3 on 40m CW.
The OP before me had turned the CW decoder on, so that the text of
everything sent or received was shown on the screen. It was shown over the
space where the RIT Offset normally would have been displayed.

I was unable to turn the damn decoder off.  Therefore I was unable to see my
RIT offset.
The owner of the K3 was not on site and there was no manual.
That really ruined my first encounter with a K3.
But it was typical of what's wrong with K3 ergonomics.
"It's not intuitive."

Fast forward.  I bought the K3 anyway, was happy with it for a few months,
then I got a call from the president of Ten-Tec informing me he had just
sent me an Eagle.  "What's an Eagle", I asked.  He said "your radio."
Basically it was what I had told him I wanted about 4 years earlier but
instead he built the O7.  So this Eagle showed up just in time for CQWW
contest.

I had already taken down my beam in preparation for moving back to Germany,
so I had no shot at a good contest score.  A great reason to use the contest
to compare the K3 to an Eagle.

Not knowing of the audio problem, I connected identical external loud
speakers to both rigs and compared.
World of difference.  The Eagle won hands down.  To be sure, I swapped the
two speakers.  No change.

Also, at no time could I say that I heard a signal better on the one or the
other.

BUT, before the Eagle arrived, I read the manual once.
I never touched it again.  Everything was intuitive.

THAT was the deciding point, not the audio problem.

Elecraft needs improvement on the naming and handling of its menus.

I'm sure if you have only one radio, a K3, and you use it all the time, then
this becomes a moot point.
But it is a huge part of the learning curve.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)