[TenTec] Omni-D troubleshooting

Chris Howard w0ep w0ep at w0ep.us
Mon Jan 12 09:43:19 EST 2015

Hi,

A few months ago I bought an Omni-D with power supply from an e-bay seller.

I have been using it, and I enjoy it.

It is exhibiting a constellation of faults which I need to repair.

I would like to run them by the group to see if there is some
common wisdom about them.  It may save me some time if I can target
my efforts.

1 - frequency drifting and jumping
     This seems to happen on both transmit and receive.  Multiple bands.

     The amount of drift is about 1-2 kHz.  It will usually drift downward
     then jump up.  This happens when I am not touching any controls.

2 - frequency loss
    I have only had this happen on 80 meters.  The frequency will jump
    much farther and/or the display will go to 1.0000

3 - low output
    Output while transmitting will fluctuate.

All of these problems seem to go away if I let the radio warm-up for an
extended period.

My main tuning knob seems to turn easily enough, and all of the other
controls seem to work ok.  I don't notice any improvement or change
by jiggling the bandswitch knob.

My only attempt at repair, so far, has been to remove the top and bottom
covers and re-seat all of the circuit boards I could find that had
the pin connectors.  I did that yesterday, but still experienced
drifting/jumping afterwards.