[TenTec] DDS for Corsair II

David and Dianne on Comcast dhhdeh at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 06:20:12 EST 2015

Hi Paul,

Do you want to build it or buy it? You can do
either. See what follows:

*Build:*You should see and study this web site:
*http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/corsair_pto/* I did
this project two years ago and it was both a very
challenging DIY project for me but the results
were spectacular IMO. It was costly (*/not /*cost
effective) and time consuming… but loads of fun
especially when it was done. I did it in the PTO
in the CII and the PTO of the 263G external VFO.
N1EU-Barry has also done this project and his
metal work was much more refined and polished than
mine. He likes his as best I can tell. Jerry-W5JH
was an immense help to me in sourcing parts,
giving advice and especially moral support when I
got to some points along the way where I did not
know how to proceed.. Most parts are Mouser and
Newark stock available but one connecting part is
now hard to source and only available from a
Mouser (?) supply house in the UK in quantities
above “one of’s”. The most difficult part of the
process for me was the metal work especially the
shaft adapter to permit continued use of the stock
VFO tuning knob and skirt. Hard but doable even
with the crude had tools that I used.

*Buy:*See these two web sites:
*http://www.n4yg.com/Corsair.html *and
*http://wb8yqj.yolasite.com/corsair-ii-dds.php* I
have two CII’s and will doing the N4YG version to
my second one later this winter. The external VFO
263G will no longer be needed for this one as the
N4YG version introduces dual VFO capability and
split mode op  in that  DDS.  Don WB8YGI has done
it and reports that is a fine DDS mod for his
CII.  N4YG is an excellent man to do business
with. Cost effective and relatively inexpensive.

*To further answer your specific questions (as to
my results with the G3TXQ version):*

*--Is it a direct drop in replacement with no
modifications?*—See all the web sites above. Both
are “modified” drop in’s.

*--**T**uning rate?*—The G3TXQ has a variable rate
depending upon the speed of the QSY on the VFO.
Not sure on the N4YG version but I think so. Some
might have preferred a slower standard rate in the
G3TXQ version but I find it great as is. Personal
taste. Frequency excursions up and down the band
are as you expect with a DDS VFO in other radios.
Swift and slick.

*--Do you lose the offset function?*--No

*--More freq. stable than the PTO?—*OMG!! so much
more stable you will never go back to that PTO
junk box. Almost seems TXCO controlled though it
is not of course.

*--Good things/bad things?*—IMO mostly all good.
Some birdies are introduced as with all DDS units
but they are virtually not audible with an antenna
connected. Both versions can easily be reversed to
a PTO if ever desired but why would you???

*--Availability?*—See above.

Then…you should see Barry-N1EU’s web page on
modifying the CII IF/AF chain for some really
spectacular SSB RX audio. I have done all fully as
he details there and can attest that the results
will blow you away.
*http://corsair.wikidot.com/corsair-afrx *They are
the crowning CII mods.

73 de N1LQ-Dave