[TenTec] DDS

Katz Ajamas ajamas.rn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 13:09:24 EST 2015

Paul-

If you want to try your hand with a SMT kit, Try the Si570 kit:
http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Kits/Kits.html

$44. including postage.
Not drop in but if you like messing around with electronics, you could find
it fun.
Push in tuning knob and select the place you want to tune(Hz, 10Hz, 100Hz,
...10MHz). It carries.
Programable so display will show actual frequency instead of DDS output
frequency
Way more stable than PTO in my Drake R7
>From all I've read, the Si570 is much cleaner(less noise) than the Analog
devices 9851.

You'll need some 0.015" solder, a good light, a fine tip soldering iron,
some liquid flux, good lead trimmer, good tweezers, magnifying glass, a 5V
to 12V wall wart and something to hold the board while you work on it. For
testing, a multimeter and general coverage receiver will do. Adapting to
your radio is not kitted, you'll have to roll own.

I assembled one and have been using it as a signal generator. It will end
up as an outboard VFO for my Drake R7 and I'll order another for the bench.
It was my first experience with SMT. I ended up with one solder bridge.
Fixed that and it's been great. I've since assembled 2 x softrock kits and
am working on a SDR2GO(discontinued) kit. One of the $22 softrock kits will
be used with HDSDR as 9MHz IF pan-adapter for my Eagle.

73,
-Bob an7i