[TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters

Reed w4jz at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 1 22:49:43 EDT 2015

Received Argonaut VI from Ten Tec today.  They replaced pre-selector
board which is board I traced problem to, but SMD too small for these
eyes.  Could be called low pass filter board.  If there were relays,
instead of SMD, I would say the 160/80 meter one would have been the
problem. They don't do board level service anymore so my total was $317
+ tax because I live in Tennessee.  1.5 hour labor @ $110 an hour, $101
for pre-selector board, & $51. shipping.

Back in 2001 they did do board level service on my Argonaut V which was
in warranty.

Paul from Ten Tec said he didn't know what caused the problem.  I have a
6:1 balun on antenna and shield is grounded which an ohm meter will show
a direct short from coax end.  I have used this antenna since 1998 with
over 15 different rigs in all kinds of weather conditions except storms
& never had a problem.  Never leave antenna hooked to rig when not in
use or DC cable connected to rig.  Several hams I talked to believe it
was component failure not static because if it had been static it would
have taken out the RX/TX board also.  I don't know for sure, but I did
install a Alpha Delta Coax Surge protector last weekend & added a 100K
carbon 1/2 watt resistor across coax center connector to shield which is
probably not needed since antenna is already grounded anyway outside at
antenna switch.

This rig was made and built at Sevierville sometime in 2012.  It was one
of the beta units turned in that I bought in August 2013.

I don't guess will ever know what caused the failure Connie.

I see in QRZ you are a avid QRPer.  I've been one since early 70s &
operate PSK & CW QRP, but QRO on SSB except for 10 meters which doesn't
require a lot of power when band conditions are open. I might recommend
subscribing to QRP Amateur Radio Club International.  Nice little
quarterly magazine which has a lot of info on QRP operation.

I wouldn't worry too much about it Connie.  I believe I'm the only one
that has had this problem & know they have sold a number of these rigs.
Just read up on proper grounding your antenna & installing some kind of
surge protector at the antenna end. Disconnect antenna/rig when not in
use or operate if storm is near.

73,
Reed W4JZ