[TenTec] TenTec] low output on SSB with Omni VII

Steve Berg wa9jml at frontier.com
Mon Jul 13 15:52:30 EDT 2015

Back in 1979 Motorola was billing $65.00 an hour for my efforts. So,
what Ten Tec is charging is not really out of line.  A while back I had
troubles with my Kenwood TS790A VHF/UHF multimode.  It had low power
output on SSB.  Realizing that it was too old for Kenwood to service it,
I took it to a prominent Midwest vendor for service.  I explained the
symptoms with great care.  I got a call that they could find nothing
wrong with it, so I drove up to their place, and watched the tech keying
it on FM, saying that he could find nothing wrong with it.  This was
after Miles had retired... So, I paid them their fee, and had it fixed
by a local tech who knows what he is doing.  It was a bad diode on the
ALC board.  If you want competent service, you have to be willing to pay
for it. All rigs have problems eventually.  At least Ten Tec tries to
service anything they ever made, assuming that parts are available. As
opposed to their Oriental competition.  It is hard to get parts even for
very popular foreign radios now.  I have worked as a service tech, and
it is not an easy job.

73,

Steve WA9JML