[TenTec] Eagle and Zero Beating

Bwana Bob wb2vuf at verizon.net
Thu Jul 23 20:32:42 EDT 2015

100 Hz?  Heck, my vintage Heathkit HW-100 probably drifts that much per
hour, after warmup, of course.  Too many curmudgeonly purists, too quick
to criticize. Your signal isn't chirpy, wide,  making key clicks or
backwave (remember backwave?), so you're clean.  Maybe he has a TX/RX
offset error of 100 Hz at his end. Or, maybe you're 50 Hz high and he is
50 Hz low.  See how silly his argument is.

Now, there are a couple of technical solutions. I'm not familiar with
the Eagle (my newest T-T is a Paragon) but if all oscillators are
derived from one master, it's doubtful that there is anything wrong with
your rig. The older gear used separate crystals for the BFO/carrier
oscillators and these require tweaking sometimes, due to crystal aging.
A good frequency counter will set that right.

As for zero beating technique, every rig design is a little different,
and few people are blessed with perfect pitch.   The older Ten Tecs used
an audio oscillator set to the same frequency as the BFO offset of 750
Hz. Push the button and tune the radio so that the tone of the incoming
signal is zero beat with the spotting oscillator. Works best with
headphones. You can fab up such an audio oscillator or I'm sure that
there are kits available. If your ears aren't good at matching the two
tones, you can feed the two audio signals into the X and Y inputs on an
inexpensive 'scope and watch the Lissajous pattern and zero beat that
way: http://www.jmargolin.com/mtest/LJfigs.htm  There are also some
simple zero beating circuits in the literature. You can use a 567 PLL
chip set to decode the desired frequency and light an LED when you're
tuned in.  Some circuits have multiple LEDs like a little bar graph.

There is one final option that I have used many times on 2 meter
repeaters, when dealing with annoying egocentric blowhards. It's called
"Click".  Just rotate the volume control counterclockwise until an
audible click is heard and the annoying person is gone. Life is short.
Don't give an annoyance permission to live in your head.

                     73,

                     Bob WB2VUF