[TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters

Reed w4jz at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 13 17:03:56 EDT 2015

Yep Stuart the circuit uses both 160 & 80 meters, but no relays.  I 
printed out the schematic & believe U35 is the problem.  It is a surface 
mount device, but no part number or exactly where U35 is located on the 
preselector board.  I have an idea where it is, but these little chips 
are so small doubt if I had one I could successfully desolder & solder 
without messing up the trace.  I'm sure I need a heat gun & 3 magnifying 
glasses to do this kind of work.

I'm more curious why this happened.  It was receiving just fine & all of 
a sudden receive signals dropped from 10 over S9 to S1 & also no 
transmit. 40 through 10 are just fine.  I don't know if static could 
have caused this or a chip that was just defective that took a while to 
go out. I did take antenna down, OCF dipole built by Antennas West in 
1997, & did find some ants making a home inside the 6:1 balun. Cleaned 
that up & resealed. I did find one nick on the insulation which had the 
wire exposed to the elements & repaired that.  Guess tree limb rubbing 
might have caused that.  Other wise antenna insulation is in great shape 
to be this old.

Will give Ten Tec a call Monday.  Rig is out of warranty so hope the 
turn around is not going to be too long.  Would like to use it on field day.

Reed  W4JZ

More information about the TenTec mailing list