[TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters

Reed w4jz at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 13 17:03:56 EDT 2015

Yep Stuart the circuit uses both 160 & 80 meters, but no relays.  I
printed out the schematic & believe U35 is the problem.  It is a surface
mount device, but no part number or exactly where U35 is located on the
preselector board.  I have an idea where it is, but these little chips
are so small doubt if I had one I could successfully desolder & solder
without messing up the trace.  I'm sure I need a heat gun & 3 magnifying
glasses to do this kind of work.

I'm more curious why this happened.  It was receiving just fine & all of
a sudden receive signals dropped from 10 over S9 to S1 & also no
transmit. 40 through 10 are just fine.  I don't know if static could
have caused this or a chip that was just defective that took a while to
go out. I did take antenna down, OCF dipole built by Antennas West in
1997, & did find some ants making a home inside the 6:1 balun. Cleaned
that up & resealed. I did find one nick on the insulation which had the
wire exposed to the elements & repaired that.  Guess tree limb rubbing
might have caused that.  Other wise antenna insulation is in great shape
to be this old.

Will give Ten Tec a call Monday.  Rig is out of warranty so hope the
turn around is not going to be too long.  Would like to use it on field day.

Thanks,
Reed  W4JZ