[TenTec] Hot Dang - Rick is a Best Link of the Week on DX-zone (OT antenna)

Katz Ajamas ajamas.rn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:39:11 EST 2015

Aloha Jims (OCG and KGI)-

On the antenna topic. I was using a 10m(33') vertical folded dipole
made/fed with 300 Ohm TV twinlead(1.6 cents a foot at Radio Shack sale) and
found the same. It worked well with the link coupled tuner on 10-30. I did
have to trim the feed as the first attempt turned out to be a full wave
multiple on 10 and the link tuner could not deal with it. It's tree was
taken over by an experiment with a 40 meter version of w8ji's off center
fed dipole.

Jim OCG, if you are thinking of a loop, maybe a vertical loop will be
easier.  My Atlanta GA loop is kind of an outgrowth of the vertical dipole
idea. It's ~33' center fed vertical and another 33' vertical wire at the
other end of the yard. They are attached by top and bottom wires long
enough to make it full wave all the way around on 80. Benefit is only two
trees to hold it up. It loads and seems to radiate well on 80-10 with the
link coupled tuner. The pattern may be a bit weird above 30. Some DX can
hear me great and from others, nary a peep. I have never used a horizontal
plane loop but suspect it would not be as good for DX on 80 and 40. It
seems to work much better for DX on 40 than the OCF dipole which is at
about 2/3 the height of the loops top wire.

73,
Bob ah7i/w4