[TenTec] In the Days before Rock'n'Roll

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Mar 27 17:38:10 EDT 2015

Wireless knobs . . .

Yes, we spoke of KC's (synonymous with today's Hz).
We tried to reject the term "Hertz", but it came in despite us.

Sometimes I think ham radio was more fun back then.
You know why?
Because we focused on what was really important.
Elmer had a face.  He wasn't a virtual guy in the Internet.
At Field Day he OM drank beer and built beer-can verticals (I was too young
then).

Today everybody is focused on what the industry has tuned our mindset to be
focused upon:
Meaningless things such as SWR!  Or the radio's standing on Rob Sherwood's
list.
Heck, Rob himself doesn't even value that much.  Instead he looks to a
Radio's overall value.

I had he fortune to live in Europe (Germany) in the 1950s and 1960s.
My father was a US Army soldier.
So I can relate to (remember listening to) the radio stations that are
referred to in this wonderful song by Van Morrison, entitled "In the days
before Rock and Roll."

See (hear):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF9eu7vyOEQ

This great song is little known in the US, yet well liked here in Europe.
Of course there is morse code in he background!

"Come aboard!"

Funny, we talked about "wireless knobs".
The SDR industry gave us "knobless wires".
Where have the days gone by?
Once in a lifetime...

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)