[TenTec] Major sudden shift in frequency?

Paul K. hglent at frii.com
Mon Mar 30 17:01:30 EDT 2015

Fellow Ten Tec folks,
This morning while receiving on 40 Meters, my Orion 1 made a sudden
frequency shift downward.  I saw the continuation of the other station
instantly re appear down frequency about 5 KHz. Sure enough, I tuned
down there and continued  and finished the contact.  The shift was from
7.265MHz down to about 7.260MHz. After the end of the contact I began
tuning the sub receiver, (the original sub receiver) looking for WWV on
10.0 MHz.  Again, I found WWV down in frequency about 9.995MHz.  I made
several switches between CWU and CWL until I very closely match the
tones.  The match came at 9.99457MHz.  When the shift in frequency
occurred there was no change indicated on the display.  I found the
signal by tuning down to it with the proper frequency displayed on screen.

I took the bottom cover off the Orion 1 and proceeded to make
adjustments to the Y1, 44.55MHz oscillator.  I found I can only swing
the Y1 oscillator about 38Hz.

Have any of you experienced a sudden shift similar to what I described?
If so, has the problem traced to the Y1 Oscillator? Also have any of you
replaced the Y1 44.55MHz oscillator module?

If you can help with advice or information please, in addition to
responding on list, email me off list, as I read this list only in
digest form.

Thanks you all for help on this.

TNX  ...  es  ...  73  ...  de  ...  WA0BAG  . .
--
Paul K. WA0BAG