[TenTec] Beginner Short Wave Receiver

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Sat May 23 15:05:02 EDT 2015

On 5/22/2015 9:20 PM, Richard Knox via TenTec wrote:
> I'd like to introduce my neighbor's boys (ages 6, 8 and 10) to the world of short wave listening and Amateur Radio.
>
> If anyone has a model 1253 or 1054 receiver in good working condition that they would like to sell, please contact me off list at KnoxCOLat AOL.com

If you want to do it yourself, you can buy this kit (I have not built
any of their kits):

http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/192231/CE-10101-Build-Your-Own-Retro-Radio/?ref=detview1&rt=detview1&rb=2

There is an English version of the manual in the download section.

If you want to roll your own, you can look up MK484 circuits. They are
the basis for a simple AM receiver. The 1970's version of the chips, the
ZN414 covered LW and MW broadcast bands, the later versions the MK484
went up to around 4 mHz, and the latest, TA7642 will cover LW up to the
39m shortwave band. They will drive a high impedance earphone for a year
on a single AA battery, and you can add a cheap transistor (BC547,
2n2222) to drive a computer/walkman headset.  If you really are good
with google, you can find out how to add regeneration to them, which
gives you both more sensitivity and the ability to decode cw and ssb.

The TA7642 sell for about $5 each from US vendors that specialize in
crystal radios, etc. You can get a 100 of them postage included, from
China for that on eBay.

There are many circuits for them on the internet, and lots of videos on
YouTube.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ