[TenTec] Open Wire Line 1 Wavelength dipole

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Oct 20 03:32:03 EDT 2015

This is in response to Jim's comment on the full wavelength dipole comment.

Again, it is correct to point out the potential danger in using this antenna
but it is wrong to insinuate it is not a good antenna.

INDEED, THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE ANTENNAS!
(Of course you must match it efficiently for it to work well.)

We are all familiar with the radiation pattern of a half wavelength
horizontal dipole.
It has two major lobes, perpendicular to the wire, as well as two deep nulls
off its ends.

The full wavelength dipole has 4 major lobes, kind of like a 4-leaf clover.
The lobes are centered on about 40 degrees either side of the wire.
Of course it has 4 nulls instead of 2 but these are not quite as deep as the
nulls off the end of a dipole.

Here in Europe, if I string it exactly East-West, then my four lobes are
approximately NE, NW, SE and SW. From Central Europe:
 - NE is Japan
 - NW is stateside
 - SW is long path to VK
 - SE is towards Middle East countries

This is a great dipole for DX contests because of its more omni-directional
coverage than a halfwave dipole.

A Net Control Station on an 80m or 40m net would probably find this better
than a halfwave dipole.

THE PROBLEM:  The antenna has a feedpoint impedance of about 2500 Ohms.  You
must know how to deal with this.  You MUST use openwire, not coax.  If you
are only interested in one band (the 2nd harmonic), then the simple solution
is to use an odd multiple of a quarter wavelength of feedline.
Often that doesn't work, for one reason or another, but there are other
ways.

An old Johnson Viking matchbox is a good candidate here and there are many
other ways of attacking the problem.  Too many to go into here.  There are
several good articles on matchbox designs by people who have tackled and
licked the problem.

There are also several BAD suggestions for matching this, which result in
fried baluns, burned up matchboxes, or even damaged transceivers.

CAUTION:  If you jump in and just try to use it with whatever matchbox you
happen to have, you might burn up your matchbox.  DO NOT TRY TO MATCH THIS
WITH THE BUILT-IN TUNER IN YOUR TRANSCEIVER.

AND...DO NOT TRY TO FEED THIS USING ONLY A 4:1 BALUN BETWEEN THE FEEDLINE
AND 50 Ohms.

I have used this type of antenna with power levels up to 1kW for at least 30
years.  I burned up a lot of stuff in learning how to do it right.  In the
meantime there is sufficient information available that tells how to do this
safely.

This Ten-Tec group is probably not the right forum to discuss this stuff in.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)