[TenTec] It's getting cold. Perfect antenna weather for a OCF dipole

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Sep 21 06:01:40 EDT 2015

GM Jim,

Now we are getting to the interesting part! (hi)

I would suggest others not interested in this topic simply hit the DELETE
key now.
This is a VERY LONG RESPONSE.

Fundamentally, ALL of the assumptions you made about how I measured are
wrong.
(details below)

Funny, I was going to ask you a similar question:
Under what circumstances does the balun fry?  When used on any frequency at
all or when used on any specific frequencies?

Jim, I am very pleased to have you weigh in on this topic.  You indeed have
lots of experience.

When I set out to conduct my own research 3 years ago, I sent out an email
invitation to several highly qualified engineers to help me prepare for the
test.  You were one of the ones I invited. I never got a reply.  I don't
know if you were too busy at the time or perhaps the invitation landed in
your SPAM filter.

The details of how I measured are posted on my web site.
About half of the results of what I measured are posted on my web site.
A few conclusions are posted there.
The test description begins here: http://www.dj0ip.de/cmc-test/

I spent about 6 months preparing to conduct the tests and then 3 weeks, 7
days per week, about 8 hours per day conducting 'FIELD' measurements (not in
the shack!).

During the preparation for my tests, the following engineers supported me in
the planning, choice of equipment, and tips for testing the calibration and
residual CMC being leaked through the transmitter to earth, etc.

 > G3TXQ  (member of this group, and creator of the Broadband Hex Beam)
 > GM3SEK (technical author for RSGB/RadCom)
 > G3UNA  (retired engineer from RACAL)
 > DJ1AT  (wrote the antenna chapters in the book used by German colleges to
train engineers)
 > DF4SA  (creator of the Spiderbeam Yagi antenna)

These guys were the brains behind the test.
I was the executer.
G3UNA and DJ1AT held my virtual hand through the test, answering many of the
questions that popped up in real time.

AND A BIG THANKS to Spiderbeam and DX-Wire (two Germany companies selling
antenna supplies).
Spiderbeam funded the project, bought the test equipment, and supplied wire
and poles.
DX-Wire supplied me with toroids, Teflon-insulated wire, insulators, etc. at
purchase price rather than sales price.  Without that financial backing, I
would not have been able to run the tests.

I have formal training in electronics in the army and civilian life, as well
as many years working as a technician, including 3 years working in the
Rhode und Schwarz lab repairing test equipment and giving courses to
customers including engineers on how to use the equipment.

My tasks were simple:

> Build all the baluns, chokes and antennas
> Apply 100w to the test antennas (using a Ten-Tec Eagle)
> Read a watt meter
> Read an RF Ammeter which is simply a current meter
> Measure antenna parameters with a RigExpert AA-54 analyzer
> Vary the parameters of the configuration and do all of that again
(altogether 500 times)

You don't have to be an engineer to do these simple tasks.
You just have to be a fool willing to risk his marriage to learn about the
CMC behavior of these antennas.  After concluding the field test, I didn't
dare even say the work "antenna" out loud around my XYL, for fear of getting
my head chopped off!  (hi)

More comments below.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)