[TenTec] It's getting cold. Perfect antenna weather for a OCF dipole

Wade Staggs tvman1954 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 23:53:56 EDT 2015

*Well my guess is that I am about to get really Slammed. We have used
several OCF Antennas. At 100 Watts, things are pretty good. My problems
appear anytime we try to go QRO. At a Kilowatt there doesn't seem to be any
magic trick, device or method to get rid of the Massive amounts of RF
coming back into the Shack. Some bands are better than others. My cure was
to install a Dipole at 126 feet long. Or 63 feet each leg. We feed it with
450 Ohm Windowed Line ( some call it Ladder Line. )  And use a Tuner rated
to do the job. Most OCF Antennas must use a Tuner anyway to get full band
coverage. So we just installed an antenna that will cover 80 through 6
Meters at Very Low Loss and Great SWR. Just Google " The Lure of Ladder
Line " to learn more. And Rick, please don't Fry me in Hot Transformer Oil
for giving my opinion... hi .. hi .. My antenna at Field Day, always out
performs the various OCF, Inverted L and all the others. This is an
equal playing field. Same Location. Limited to 100 Watts. You get my drift?*
*                                               73 from Wade/KJ4WS*

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 4:35 PM, <km2km at twc.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
>  I am late in picking up this thread, nevertheless I went through the OCF
> dipole fever, modeled like mad (EZNEC), read the literature, and like all
> of our antennas you have fans for everything from the proverbial bed spring
> to the OCFD.
>
> IMHO: although they will claim multiple band resonance, the models show
> "close but no cigar."  (I'll be slammed on this for sure.
>
> Then too, those commercial versions have baluns to make it match, and in
> the end, the recommendation is to use a tuner.
>
> If you would like to OP on 30 meters, then make a dipole and hang it as
> high as you can.
>

> Kris KM2KM
> MERSCHROD
> 123 Warren Road
> Ithaca, NY 14850
>
> ---- Mike Bryce <prosolar at sssnet.com> wrote:
>
> =============
> Gang,
>
> It's been way to quiet here.
>
> With fall only a week away and winter not too far behind, it's a great
> time for antenna work.
>
> I'am going to out up a off center fed dipole.
>
> After reading pages after pages of information about this antenna it seems
> to work differently depending to quite a few factors.
>
> Such as how high up, gauge of wire, insulated or not and of course the
> feed point.
>
> From what I've read, 137' wire. Short end about 42'
>
> (All lengths are for example only!)
>
> Now according to W8JI, he suggest the short end should be 24'
>
> Has anyone built a OCF dipole to W8JI dimensions?
>
> According to his web page, the above feed point will get me 30 meters. I'd
> love to put my Argonaut VI on 30 meters this fall.
>
> I've got the wire a good 4:1 current balun and a rainy Sunday.
>
> Mike WB8VGE
>
> Sent
> from my iPhone

*Living one day at a time with Jesus as my Savior. But, still having Fun.*