[TenTec] OCF Antennas - Which commercial antenna is gest?

Clayton Brantley clayton_n4ev at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 22 11:54:10 EDT 2015

What antenna is BEST????   Very good question.  I worked for a few years with Al Henderson ex K6AJ now a SK.He made antennas for the navy and a few other users.  Most were verticals that would tune to 1/4 wave length inside
some special piping that was filled with nitrogen.  These things would run north of $10k!  Worked like a champ too.He had pictures of his antennas mounted on aircraft carriers.
Now to the point of this discussion, Al told me the impedance of free space is 377 ohms and that is why the quad antennais such a good antenna.  He maintained that an antenna could be simply thought of as a transformer to bring the outputof the transmitter from 50 ohms to 377 ohms.  The biggest part of the antenna that is near the "magic 377 ohms" worksthe best.
I know this might be a bit off the original topic, but thought I'd toss Al's ideas out and see what others think.
73 Clayton N4EV