[TenTec] The OCFD Mystique

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Sep 22 18:06:26 EDT 2015

Man, I hope I don't come across as evil after this response.
This is to Wade and Barry.

Guys there are a lot of myths and fallacies in the paragraphs below.

First Wade, there is no reason on earth not to use Openwire with OCFD
antennas.
If you back in the QST archives, back in the 30s, it was very popular.
Many people do it today.

Second, ignoring matching losses, the gain and radiation pattern of 130 ft.
of wire is the same regardless of where you feed it.  You can feed it in the
center, at either end or anywhere in between without changing gain or
pattern.

Matching Losses is the "gotcha" here, and here's where the openwire fed
antenna sometimes comes out ahead.  Sometimes.  It depends on the quality of
the matchbox and the band you are working on.  Most matchboxes are
inefficient on 10m when trying to match high impedances and that is what you
have with the antenna you suggested.

With the OCFD antenna it is possible to get the mismatch to under 3:1 on
many bands and with short runs (less than 100 ft.) of good coax, the loss is
negligible.  What remains is balun and choke loss.
THEY ARE THERE, and as I stated earlier, that is the price one pays for the
convenience of not running openwire through the air and not having to have a
matchbox that can cope with high impedances efficiently.

I ran openwire all my life (not to my beams of course) until I moved here.
Can't run it here.  Landlord won't allow the ugly stuff.  This is what
forced me to switch to OCFD.

Now to Barry, whose post included good recommendations and some.... well,
read below.

The OCFD is not really a variant of the Windom.  W8JI does a fine job of
explaining why.
The Windom was not a harmonic usable antenna, but rather was designed to be
used only on the fundamental.  Of course people soon began using it on the
harmonic frequencies.  As it turns out, the Windom is only a Windom for a
very narrow frequency (couple of KCs).  Above and below that it converts to
a form of an Inverted-L.  How that works is described in detail in an
article that appeared in the May 1978 issue of Ham Radio magazine, written
by John Nagle, K4KJ (SK).

The feedpoint of the Windom was off center but not the same place people
later began feeding the coax-fed OCFD.  It was originally believed by Byrne,
the primary developer of the antenna, that the optimum feedpoint was based
upon a coefficient and this coefficient was related to the wire size. It
worked for their tests but they never varied the height, nor tried the
antenna over other types of earth.  In other words, their work was flawed.
Forget the Windom.

The original OCFD concept did indeed define a point (in theory) in which the
impedance of the fundamental was the same as that of its even harmonic bands
and varied between 235 and 285 Ohms, height dependant.  Lower heights means
lower impedance, higher heights means higher impedances.
THAT TOO WAS FLAWED.  It works in theory in outer space but down here in the
mud on mother earth, we have a thing called "End Effect".  Due to the
different behavior of end effect on the harmonic bands, the impedance is not
the same, nor is the antenna actually harmonic.  The higher up you go, the
more it wanders away from the harmonic frequency.  This causes the impedance
to be different on different bands... albeit, close enough to be fed with
the same balun.

Saying that SWR is a red herring is kinda true but also very dangerous.
Indeed with the classical OCFD and its 1/3 - 2/3 split, the even harmonic
bands have a fairly good SWR.  However the odd ball her, 15m is a show
stopper.  At the 1/3 point, the RF current on 15m crosses the zero axis and
the impedance goes to infinity (in space), or about 2k Ohms here in the mud.
Unfortunately the random length of coax often transforms its impedance such
that it "looks like" 5:1.  Yes, you can certainly match this, but it doesn't
change the fact that it's still 10:1 at the feedpoint.  If you run high
power into it here, in Jim's words YOU WILL FRY THE BALUN.

OCFD WAS YESTERDAY.

For the past 5 years I have been building antennas called "Stromsummen
Antennas".
I have never seen, heard or read about this in the English language.
It is well documented in the German Rothammel Antenna Book and there is an
entire book written on just this antenna.  In German.  Sorry.

This concept is a twist of the OCFD design.  It dictates moving the
feedpoint just far enough that the RF current on 15m shoots back up to a
level that produces an impedance in the ball park with the other bands.  In
doing so, the impedances of the other bands also go up or down a little but
not as fast as 15m is changing.  If you prune carefully, you can find
several feed points which have a usable SWR on 6 or even 7 bands, AT THE
FEEDPOINT.

THERE IS A COST.  It is higher SWR in general but still quite usable.  As
Jim points out, you also lose power in the balun but the picture is not a
black as he paints it.  Might be if you insist on running 1500w but at
friendlier power levels, say up to about 800w, and with proper balun design,
these antennas are very reliable.

There's a lot to be said about "Never touch a running system."
If you are using anything and are happy with it, by all means keep using it,
regardless of what anybody else says.
However should it break, it is worthwhile to do your homework.

The sound ideas put forth in the ARRL handbook, our Rothammel, Low Band
DXing, etc. are still outstanding and probably the best thing you can did...
if you can do it.

Unfortunately HOA restrictions and diminishing size of city lots have caused
most of us to seek compromise antennas.
Believe me, there has been a lot of research and advancement in these areas.
Most of all we now have ultra lightweight and strong building materials that
were not even dreamed about in the 50s and 60s.  There is no reason to build
antennas as heavy as battle ships.

With HF antennas, HEIGHT IS MIGHT.
Today we have very tall, lightweight fiberglass poles that go up and down in
a minute.
You can get them all the way up to 85 ft. if so desire.
Of course they come in several smaller sizes.

You can push a wire high into the air at night when nobody can see it, and
work the world.
But you can't hang a Carolina Windom on it.  You'll break the pole.  You
must build ultra-light antennas and fly them high.

I do not recommend feeding an OCFD at 1/3 as Barry suggests.  I prefer to
move the feedpoint such that the antenna also works 15m and even 30m if I so
desire.

However he is right about the feedline.  Don't skimp on coax.  Don't buy
RatShack.  Same goes for the coax connectors.  By name brand.  If you buy
cheap, you buy twice.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)